View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 AM
WMUTeach

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Is anyone else old enough to remember when we were all having our "colors" done? It was based on our skin tones (how sallow, rosy, etc) and then you got a little pack of fabric swatches that showed your colors in darks and lites---mine was Winter and it suggested "jewel tones". I always wondered if the questionaire was just to figure out your favorites--these are mine and most of my quilts are jewel tones.
Yes indeed, I remember having my colors done and I also am a winter. Love the jewel tones and wore them before the "test". I was frequently told to wear brown because my hair was brown. Yuck! seldom felt good or happy in brown. I never wear brown and seldom use it in quilts unless it is mixed well with other colors such as warm reds or blues. (Think Civil War prints.)

I translate the term jewel tones as clear colors. They are not muted with gray or white or tan. They pop and shine when paired with white or black. Often Amish quilts use jewel tones. I find that I often use "summer" colors in my quilts which are lighter or softer shades of jewel tones.For instance instead of emerald green I might use a spring green or in place of topaz gold I would use a buttery yellow. What a fun question! It certainly lead me down memory lane and gave me pause to consider the colors in my stash and quilting. This color preference may be why some fabrics just sit in my stash and don't get used. .Perhaps I just don't like the color. Have fun with your jewel tone BH quilt!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-29-2020 at 03:22 AM.