Thread: 301a roar
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 04:45 PM
bkay

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
It looks like there some grease on the gears, but if my machine were noisy, I'd add a little more. There is an area underneath that needs grease, too. Gotta love the 301s - I have two.
It's not the gears. I had already greased the gears with Tri-flow. I put more on it. It made no difference in the noise. In the photo, you can see where there are three oil points. I actually put the lid up next to the gears so I could see exactly where the points on the lid would hit. There were three oil points on the right side of the gears. Those were where I put the oil. I stayed with regular sewing machine oil. I didn't resort to the 30 wt. oil which as been suggested for the upright gears of the slant machines.
It worked, so I added a couple of more drops of oil to each oiling point. I actually used Hoppe's gun oil, as the bottles have a precise small dispensers. I love the containers. I use the gun oil and refill the containers with sewing machine oil. As I understand it, they are the same type of oil.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails oil-points.jpg