Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 PM
Lizz1

Gday Glenn
So, I've finally managed to line all my ducks in a row (read...manage to get everything I need for this french polishing adventure)
It's really hard to get the Zinsser shellac so finally, after numerous trips to hardware stores where it is only available in spray can, have opted to mix my own with shellac flakes As per your first post, to ask all the questions before starting. So please forgive my newbie ignorant questions. BTW, I saw the same machine on sale on Facebook and its a Vesta "Valley" Thanks
1. Do i need to wipe away the sewing machine oil first before i start french polishing? I don't have naptha, but using JELL (Aussie equiv of Swarfega, can't get Goop or Gojo) Should I use that to wipe away all traces of SMO first>
2. Is the linseed oil a must? Or can i use SMO in its place?
3. I watched Youtube videos to get a better idea of how to do and they always make a "rubbing pad" with tshirt. Do you recommend that?
4. Also on Youtube, they replenish by opening up the pad to add shellac and alcohol...your thoughts please?
5. How many layers do you recommend?

Apologies for all the questions, but really want to understand the whole process in my head before i dive in.
Grateful thanks for your time and advice.
Cheers