View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 04:46 PM
IceLeopard

Whew! For a moment there i thought I wouldn't be able to do this. My secondary hard drive has decided to die and it will be a few days before my son-in-law can look at it. I thought all my notes were on it, but I was wrong. So, onto the fabrics!

This time you *will* be making blocks, so I haven’t given you directions for a larger quilt. Most components will be 3 inches finished. Fabric amounts are to make a lap quilt, so if you want a larger quilt you will need to take that into account. There are multiple borders, some pieced and some plain. I will tell you when we are making components for the border so you can wait and see if that’s what you want to do.

Again, you’ll need 4 different fabric colors. All colors need to have strong contrast with each other. I’ve taken EQ8's fabric totals and added 1/8 yard to them, just for caution’s sake. (Last time I ran out of my WoW and had to piece one plain block!)

#1 is a very light, cream or white or a very pale pastel. If you have sufficient scraps of the same color and value, this can be scrappy but I think it looks best as a constant. I have chosen to use a cream batik. You will need 1 1/2 yards.

#2 is a medium-light. I am using gold. This will look good as scrappy but can be a constant. You will need a total of 3/8 yard.

#3 is a medium-dark. You can go wild with the scrappies here. I am using teals and turquoises. I’ve got a whole box of blue-greens like that! You will need a total of 1 3/8 yards.

#4 is a very dark. It needs to be a constant because this is your background and plain borders. I am using chocolate brown. You will need 1 1/2 yards.

And this time, I’m going to throw a decision at you. Instead of using the terms “fabric 1, fabric 2,” etc. I’m going to use my color names. That’s because you can swap #1 and #4. Instead of having a dark background, you can use a light one. So if I say “make 1493 1" HSTs of cream and turquoise” and you’ve swapped them and are using black for your #1, and red for your #3, you’ll know to substitute your black for my cream. OK? (Don’t worry. There aren’t any 1" HSTs. This time.)

I’m thinking that it will take 6 weeks. As I said, I’m using cream, gold, teal/turquoise, and chocolate brown. But I’ve gone into EQ8 and hit it with the magic fairy wand to randomly change the colors, and some really cool combinations have come up. Black/white/gray/red; navy/red/white/gold; cream/soft pink/green/fuchsia; emerald green/sand/cream/violet; sand/Caribbean blue/purple/fuchsia; white/lilac blue/mint green/purple; dark gray, royal blue, gold, pale green; turquoise/red/cheddar/pale gold.

Again, for this project I made extensive use of my Deb Tucker trimdown rulers, but if you have some other choice you like, use those. My trimdown directions will be for an ordinary ruler, since not everyone will have specific rulers. If you have one, follow the manufacturers directions. If you’d rather make to size and not trim down, let me know.