Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
roseOfsharon

"I just sometimes don't understand the way people think. Cashiering and sales help---its NOT skilled labor, and its not paid like it's skilled labor. In order for the stores to give you the lowest prices, they have no choice but to often hire people who have no interest/knowledge in the items they sell."

Hello Aliaslaceygreen,

I cannot believe that you actually typed that. True some may have had some problems with service in stores, but, to say that it's not a skilled labor, is quite a punch. Having had been a cashier for 12 years before retiring, I can personally say that Cashiering granted, is not a White Collar job .. but it also is not an Unskilled labor either. Skill dealing with people is a must, always letting the Customer be right, is not an easy skill. Directing where to find something, making their time a positive experience, offering up a smile when one may not be deserved. Not to mention, handling cash, credit other means of payment. Also, starting as a cashier, in many cases , is a stepping stone to other areas within the business. So please give the people who cashier or are sales floor help the benefit of the doubt, as they could be the next business owner, manager, accountant.. working their way up. That's all I have to say.