Old 10-03-2020, 03:53 AM
WMUTeach

I formally started to use a "method" In January. I use a small spiral notebook, 5X7 that I was given at a conference several years ago as an attendance gift. The first day of the month, I create a "To Do List". Then as I plan quilts or other sewing projects, I add notes for each one. For instance, I will put snippets of fabric choices, measurements, pressing directions so I am consistent, sub block sizes and finished size. If a pattern is one I like, I will return to it, so all of these little odds and ends make the second quilt quicker to finish. This helps particularly if I transfer a pattern from a 2" cut to a 2.5" cut for instance. I will also keep my calculations of total blocks or sub-blocks. (How many half-square triangles do I need to finish the quilt?)

Some months I will accomplish 3 quilts, other months more, but I have a record of them. It also keeps me working forward on UFO's, quilts for gifts that have a deadline, donation quilts and the like.

Will I do it again for 2021? Absolutely! I enjoy the creating a little history of my work and the helpful details that make the process easier for future efforts. In the end some quilts get one page while others may get three. It all depends on how many times I have to recalculate.

Try a method of recording that fits you. Mine developed over time and started when I was looking for coordinating fabrics for a quilt last fall and I taped little wedges of fabric to a page then went to Shipshewana on a fabric hunt. Twelve months later, I have a little record of my quilting. I feel organized in my work and not so over whelmed that I just stand in the middle of the room and fidget.