View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 08:04 AM
SewingSew

I'll have to try your way of preparing okra. I love okra. It grows well down south because it thrives in heat. Being from the south, I grew up with an abundance of it. I live in New Hampshire now and we have not had much success growing it in our garden. I have read that you can get a jump start on it by starting it in a cold frame a month or so before putting it in the garden, but I have never tried doing that. We used to can a vegetable soup that was always served with cornbread. It was a staple in our house in the winter. The soup is made using tomatoes, okra, green beans, corn, lima beans, cabbage and potatoes. It is seasoned by cooking fat back to render the fat and then adding some of the fat to the soup. We also used to make a lot of fried okra. Slice it into 1/2" circular pieces. Put it in a bag with cornmeal, salt and pepper and shake it up to coat the okra. Fry it in fat back or salt pork grease or vegetable oil until golden brown. Yum! My granny used to love okra boiled. A lot of people won't eat it that way because it is slimy. There also used to be a dish we made by cooking tomatoes and okra together. And of course, it is good in many soups and stews.