Old 10-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Macybaby

I had told my family that I'd make a quilt for everyone. One neice found some hand stitched blocks at a thrift store and asked if I'd put them together for her. Then her Mom (SIL) gave me some old cordory fabric for the back, and a bag of cheap batting. I think they were all sutff found at yard sales.

The blocks appeared to be a novice attempt at hand sewing. Lots of uneveniess in seam allowance, and many had been sewn with too tight of thread and puckery. I'm pretty sure it ended up in someone's UFO stash because they gave up trying to put them into rows as nothing was lining up. I took the rows apart and added sashing so I could get uniform blocks, had to resew several seams (by machine) and in the end it didn't look too bad. I did use the cordory by used my own batting as it was much nicer.

There was nothing special about the fabric, and it was so poorly sewing that I did close quilting to try to keep it together, but warned SIL that it might not hold up to washing.

I won't ever agree to a project like that again. Too many people see hand stitches and think "wow - really old or hand crafted with care" but in this case is was fabric from the 80's sewn by someone who was learning how to use a needle and thread.