Old 10-19-2020, 12:53 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I have been doing commission work for close to 20 years. I do prefer to make a quilt, show it off & have someone ask to purchase it. It’s definitely easier that way. When approached for a commission I do work out all the details- and I do get paid well for my work ( I’ve made $800 for twin quilts and $3750 for a couple quilts
I often ask for a color scheme or theme, style and size. Sometimes I go through books and show the person some options. Sometimes all I have to go on is King size, fall colors. I’ve had enough quilts appraised to be able to quote a good price. I’ve given breaks at times but always wind up with a minimum of $20 an hour over the price of materials. I always require a 50% non- refundable deposit before I cut anything or purchase anything.
in 20 years I’ve only had 1 person not accept her quilt when it was finished. It was a weird situation- she hadn’t even seen the finished quilt, was in contact with me- all excited on the phone- we arranged for me to deliver it- day of delivery I was on my way when I received a text from her saying ( I don’t want it) !?!? What??? I sat along side the road for a few minutes, tried to call her- no answer- went home and wrote and sent a registered letter stating she had 30 days to purchase the quilt or forfeit her deposit and any claim to the quilt. The 30 days went by. About 2 weeks later I sold it for 3 times what I was offering to sell it to her. I was trying to give her a good deal- worked out fine for me.