View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 05:47 AM
WMUTeach

The one part of quilting that scares the socks off me if fancy intricate custom quilting such as feathers. I desire that kind of work to look good, really good. I hear the crowds saying practice, practice, practice but honestly In the greater scheme of things I don't have time to put in 20 years of practice to be perfect.

My calling now is to use my stash, make quilts to bless people with warmth and the comfort that the quilt was made for them. I view each quilt is a long term demonstration of a hug. My quilts look good and occasionally I will have one quilted by a friend with a long arm machine but only a couple a year. I have been able to produce more lovely quilts this year than ever in the past because of no longer teaching and Covid-19 keeping us away from other wonderful distractions. That is my satisfaction.

I avoid most quilts with teeny tiny pieces and leave them to others to do. Yes, they scare me and yes, it is my choice to say "no thank you". There are so may other patterns that intrigue me and over my quilting history I see that I am digging deeper, learning new skills, taking new chances and improving little things like good points, color choices, exact seams and cutting and having fun creating and giving them away.