Old 10-24-2020, 06:44 AM
tropit

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
this may sound radical and like a heresy but why tear off the paper at all. Back in my younger days my dear Emma taught me to sew crazy scraps to newspaper. We did not tear off the paper but simply went ahead and sandwiched and quilted the whole thing. The paper melted into the batting with the first washing and drying. Remember this was the good old days and we used a wringer washer and line dried. I have made several quilts this way since, last year to be exact I made a queen size string quilt pieced on paper. I always wash and dry, all automatic now thanks be, as the last step. Again the paper melted into the batting. So what is the fuss? Even if you do tear off the paper and a few bits remain no problem. Either way the paper is no problem. So I say sew it up, leave it on and wash your problem away. One note, the paper will dull your needle so change it after the project is done. P.S. That quilt, only my second one, won a blue ribbon at the county fair. Emma and I were so proud.
That is cool! Who'da thought? I'm gonna have to try that on a small project. Congrats on your blue ribbon too.