View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 10:11 AM
tropit

Default One Cure For a Wavy Border

I'm going through all of my UFOs right now and trying to finish them off. I'm doing pretty good so far, but I came across one of my very first quilts that I had stopped and started several times over the years. I've been big stitch quilting the main body of it over time. And even though the points don't match and my skills were, "very beginner," at best when I first put the top together, I still really like the pattern and colors of the quilt and I get a warm, sentimental feeling when I look at it.

But then, I got to the borders and OMG, they are so wavy! So wavy that I was getting seasick just looking at them! How could I have been that bad of a quilter?
:::sigh:::
I was new at quilting, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

After trimming it down to the bare minimum, I took a good, hard look at it and realized that I had found a solution to the waviness right in front of me... just do lots of big stitching in the borders. I started on it and it's working like a charm. I can take in all of the fullness and slack as I decoratively stitch in the border space. I measure, do a little stitching, measure again, etc. I started thinking that the big stitch would be a good arsenal to have in my, "repairs tool bag." It might work for other quilts that are off kilter, or wavy. It goes really fast and looks kinda cute. I think that after the quilt is washed it will be just fine.