View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Cheshirepat

Talking So, I jumped headfirst into a rescue...

My co-worker mentioned he saw a 'black Singer' in a 'box' while he was running to an estate sale at lunch. (Of course, I'd let him know a while back if he ever spotted an old machine, I'd love to know, heh!) I asked a few more questions, but he really doesn't know sewing machines -he's a car guy. Anyway I asked what they had on it for a price, he said "$60". My ears went up and I had to go see.
Well, she's a little 99K electric (born May 1953 in Scotland) and in *very messy* condition. Not a lot of rust -we're in the desert, but super dirty, gunked up dried up oil and crackling dry electric cables... only the machine and top of the carrying case. Hrm. Well, I told them it would need a lot of work, and offered them $30, and when they didn't balk she came home with me. I know there are parts out there, and by gosh, I kind of want to get my hands on a fixer upper!
So, I've been watching AndyTube (I do hope his break is short-term! His videos are wonderful!) and being as gentle and brave as I can, been taking her apart to clean and fix. As you can see from the first picture and the one of the bobbin area, I have a bit to do - that's about as dirty as she is all over. The other picture is of her surface, which also is dry, and has some cracking/crazing in the paint. Could I beg a few questions?

So far I've dusted her off with a gentle brush then a damp cloth to remove dirt. I've gotten the bobbin area apart except for the bobbin case...which really needs to come out. Cleaned removed metal parts with tri-flow to ungunk them, then just warm water/dry them. Again, it's the desert, so the parts will dry pretty quickly again.

What do you do with more 'complex' machine parts - like the bobbin ejector assembly -there must be gunk in the middle of that part...do you soak it in some solution/cleaner? Do I dare take all the screws out of it? I do have to figure out how to pull the oil wick 'coil' out, or at lest be able to replace the felt.

What would you do with the finish, assuming I will not take on removing the current clearcoat and paint? I'm not super worried about her perfect paint -she's already got some bare spots. I just want to do what I can with the skills I have to prevent further damage in the time I use her.

Do any of you have a favorite place you'd buy a replacement base for a machine like this? I probably won't have someone make an entire set-in table, just a base for now so I can see if she works.

So far I've not come across any screws that won't give, it just seems to be a matter of taking my time and doing a thorough clean/reassembly/oiling. Of course, I haven't even looked into what it will take to get the motor going, and wires replaced. Well, I've taken apart a laptop and replaced the motherboard. How much worse could this be?!
Attached Thumbnails pxl_20201026_193924227-2-.jpg   singer99k.jpg   bobbin.jpg