Old 10-31-2020, 04:51 PM
joe'smom

Default Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

It's time once again for the Bonnie Hunter winter mystery quilt! This year there was no travel abroad to inspire the quilt, so the inspiration is the beautiful fall colors Bonnie enjoyed this fall while driving around in the Virginia area.

The introduction post for colors, theme and yardage is up on Bonnie's blog: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/

The first clue will appear on her blog on the Friday morning after Thanksgiving (here in the U.S.), which this year is Nov. 27, and each Friday thereafter until the mystery concludes. Someone will usually post the clue in this thread as well, and it can also be found on Bonnie's Facebook page (which we can't link to here), and can also be accessed (usually after a short delay) by clicking on the mystery tab at the top of her blog page.

Bonnie has certain rules for discussing her mysteries, which we will follow here. She asks that we not mention the size of units, nor the number of units we are making. Also, she asks that we not take pictures of our units on our cutting mats (or else cover up the ruler markings). We love seeing photos of your fabrics and your progress!

There was a helpful posting of the paint chips in grey scale on the Facebook page today. There isn't a lot of value contrast between the colors this year. The red and grey read as dark, and the gold, green and orange read as a little bit lighter than the red and grey. The were three points Bonnie made about value contrast in the intro post: The orange may appear next to the gold, so make sure you can differentiate between those two; not to go too light with any of the colors because there needs to be good contrast between all of the colors and the neutral, and stay away from yellowish and tan neutrals so they don't blend with the gold.

In the pictures Bonnie shows of her fabrics in the intro, she seems to have a wide range of values within each color.

For any first-timers to a Bonnie mystery -- welcome! Bonnie's quilts work best with small prints, because the pieces are usually smallish, so with a big print, you can't be sure of getting the right color piece unless you fussy cut. You can go scrappy, or you can use one fabric to represent each color.

This is a historic mystery for me -- the first time I will be able to use only stash! DH was thrilled when I told him, 'I won't have to spend a penny,' LOL. I'm also thinking of approaching the mystery this year as a leader/ender project, so I can keep momentum going with my current project.