Old 11-01-2020, 01:54 PM
peaceandjoy

Originally Posted by Mkotch
I am thinking about joining in, but I don't want to use Bonnie's colors. I hated my Good Fortune quilt which did follow her colors!

I have a lot of blues, greens, and purples in my stash, but I'm really lacking in grays. So I'll have to go get a few more to mix in. I'm also thinking about adding in turquoise. Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?
I use her colorway about 50% of the time. First, I look at the amount of each color; that helps determine which color, if any, will stand out more than the others. This year, red, gold and green all have the same amount; orange a bit less and gray twice as much! She mentions that her gold and orange will be next to each other, so those colors need good contrast. Taking a picture and making it black and white is helpful to see shades and contrast.

In 2013, I used almost this year's colors for Celtic Solstice. My greens aren't as bright; leaves here in the Finger Lakes aren't that bright this time of year. While I love Bonnie's quilts, I have only finished about have of the ones I started. I love making blocks, but don't like putting blocks together into tops. Am thinking about working on finishing a couple up instead of starting another - but where is the fun in that, lol.

Attached are pics of the original fabrics from Celtic Solstice, my finished Easy Street and En Provence, both with different colors than were suggested. En Provence, I was hoping that the green would be more prominent, but I still like it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails celtic-solstice.jpg   easy-street.jpg   en-provence.jpg