View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 06:39 PM
joe'smom

I had not so much as heard of mystery quilts when I noticed a thread here a few years ago about a Bonnie Hunter mystery. I didn't click on it, but then noticed how quickly the thread was adding pages; I had never seen a thread grow at such a rapid pace, and I thought, 'I wonder what's going on here.' I then proceeded to read the entire thread, and got caught up in the excitement. That was the Grand Illusion mystery. It was the most fun I'd had in recent years, apart from when we redid our kitchen and I got to pick out all the cabinet and counter colors. The fun for me was in the community aspect of the event -- following all the hubub, both here and on Bonnie's facebook page, seeing people's color choices, watching their progress, and of course, bursting with curiosity and anticipation to find out what we were making.

I do have one regret about that first mystery. I had a very strong urge to use a single neutral in one of the clues, but I wasn't confident enough to make that choice because I had no experience with how things pan out in a mystery. I realized in retrospect that it would have been a great choice, and I still kind of entertain the idea of appliqueing this fabric onto every neutral piece in that clue! I've since accepted that the trade-off for all the fun of enjoying the mystery is that you don't always make optimal fabric choices. I've always liked my mystery results, but always have something that I would have done differently had I not been working blind.