Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Synnove

Default Does your sewing machine like/dislike certain threads?

I have spent a frustrating two weeks struggling to FMQ my latest quilt. I began using a cone of "Brand A" 40 weight thread. It has been a disaster. This is a brand with a reputation for quality. Many skipped stitches, sometimes "skips" as long as an inch in length. I changed the needle twice. Didn't help. I took the machine into the repair shop. They checked it out and said it's fine. I came home, tried again -- skipped stitches, thread breaking repeatedly, snarls on the underside. Now I'M snarling! Tried a spool of "Brand A", rather than the cone. More disasters. I switched over to a spool of "Brand B", a thread I've used before. No problems, perfect results. Is this normal??

I had never sewn from a cone of thread before. Does that make a difference? It did seem that the bobbins I wound from it were a bit sloppy. Not sure if there's something I'm supposed to do differently with the tension as the thread comes off the cone and goes onto the machine. At any rate, I sure have got a lot of mess to dig out with my seam ripper! Help!