View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 03:05 PM
Iceblossom

For skinny strips (say 2.5" and less), I mostly cut "standard" technique with my cut edge to the left, and then just slice along.

I still unfold every 2-3rd strip to make sure the fabric is correctly folded and on grain. You never want any sharp V shapes at the folds.

More and more I'm using two ruler techniques on any thing bigger than that. That is I have my cut edge on the right. Using ruler one, I measure in my distance. Using ruler 2 (generally the standard 6.5x22") as a straight edge, I line that up next to ruler 1, making sure it is perpendicular to the fold. You hold the ruler with your left hand, with the right, move the other ruler out of the way and make the cut.

Some of this is because of very special vision issues I have, one eye better than the other, one eye with a blind spot and blah blah blah. I mark many of my ruler lines with a bit of 1/4" quilters masking tape so I can easily and consistently see where my cuts should be even if I can't read the numbers.

I never ever ever (would capitilze and bold and do other things for emphasis) use my cutting board lines to actually cut on! Start with your plain side up and use your rulers for accurate cuts and less wear and tear on your cutting board.

edit: Sorry, about the handedness part of it. I am slightly right dominant but mostly pretty well ambidextrous, I do many things with my left hand. Goes along with keyboard (both musical and typing) skills. When I was little left handedness was still discouraged, while I would pick up pencils with either hand I was taught that "I write with my right hand".

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-15-2020 at 03:09 PM.