View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 03:38 AM
platyhiker

I've seen videos that demonstrate how you can (potentially) get better accuracy when doing many cuts by using the original straightened edge as the measuring point for all your cuts. So, if you are cutting 6 2.5" strips, you first cut 15" from your straight edge, the second cut is 12.5", then 10", 7.5", 5", and finally 2.5". As a right handed person, I would set this up with the straight edge on the left, but the first cut would be the right most cut, with each following cut 2.5" to the left of the previous cut, but always measuring from the straight edge on the left.

If you make your cuts in the "usual" way, there is the potential for the angle of the cut to be just a bit off, and then using that new cut as your measuring point, the angle of the next cut can again be a just a bit off, and after a bunch of cuts in this manner, you are no longer cutting the shape you want. This potential problem is why it is often recommended to cut a fresh straight edge after a batch of cuts, to remove any skewing.

To answer your original question, the bulk of the fabric is to the right of me, with either cutting method - what changes in alternate version that the cuts progress from right to left.

Last edited by platyhiker; 11-17-2020 at 03:41 AM.