Old 11-18-2020, 08:19 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DrosieD View Post
I'm posting this mainly from a garment construction view but I do carry it into my quilting. All fibers should be of the same content, cotton fabric, cotton thread, cotton batting, cotton backing, cotton quiting. While the majority don't believe this reigns true and I argued the point with Rickey Timms. His response was "do you want all your beautiful quilting to disintegrate". My argument was, no, however what good is all that beautiful quilting if all the cotton has worn away from abrasion of polyesther thread. I piece with cotton and quilt with cotton, UNLESS I can't find what I need, then I go to rayon as it's also considered a natural fiber, then if all else fails for a small area I would consider trilobal poly. If I've spent months piecing, laying out, layering the sandwich and quilting if It's all going to fall apart it will do so at the same rate. As far as shrinkage, today's cotton doesn't shrink at the rate our mother's and grandmother's did. We have high quality long fiber cottons that have been mercerized. I'd not hesitate to stitch 2.5" strips with cotton thread, use my cotton batting, and backing and quilt with my cotton thread. I doubt it's going to wrinkle that much. Besides, IMHO it's the wrinkling and softness of a washed quilt that gives it the charm and the feel of sleeping at grandma's house. Only my opinion it may only be worth a grain of salt to some though but worth a thought.

I have two "couch quilts" that are over twenty years old - they have been used so much that the bias binding is severely frayed.
I used the cotton covered polyester Dual Duty for the piecing and quilting. I do not see one tiny bit of shredding on any of the seams not has any of the pieces come unstitched or the fabric "worn" or "shredded" at the seam lines.

One has a polyester batting and the other has Warm and Natural batting.

I have measured hundreds (really!!!!) of pieces of fabric before and after washing. I do not know what the shrinkage rate was 50 years ago, because I only started measuring about 20 years ago. I would guess that less than 2% of the pieces that I measured had no shrinkage. Most of them shrank more in one direction than another.

I have had a Michael Miller black (from more than one bolt) shrink more than 2 inches in width. So "good brand" is no guarantee of no shrinkage. I also had a roc-lon tea colored muslin - that the end label siad "pre-shrunk" shrink drastically.

So - that is my experience and observations.