View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 06:48 AM
rryder

Question New studio priorities and time re-organization

Today I want to have a rethink about my studio notebook. I've used it for several years to help me organize my time and it has been an effective tool for times when I was busy with entering quilt shows and art shows, etc. However, this past year I have found myself looking at it less and less. I finally realized it was because I've got it structured to help me meet deadlines when I'm actively involved with in-person shows and events- all of which are closed down and have been for months. I tried to organize it for on-line shows, but with one thing and another, I just haven't been that motivated to enter the on-line shows. It's clear to me that my studio priorities have changed, at least for now and I would like to have a think about what they actually are. I need to decide what it is that I am truly excited about and structure my notebook to reflect that so that I don't just spend time in the studio spinning my wheels.

So, back to basics:
Studio Time organization- 1st task- figure out what I really want to do with my time in the studio- I need to learn how to use instagram as one of the organizations I am involved with is moving in that direction. I know I want to translate some of my abstract drawings into quilts. I am obligated to finish an art piece for a charity show- it's due to be delivered on Dec. 5. I have signed up for an on-line Helen Godden class that I've been wanting to take, and I now have all the materials to do it. I really want to finish the Big Butterfly quilt, but it needs to have a bunch of quilting ripped out. I need to make more scrap scarves as they are selling well at the gallery. There are Christmas gifts to finish up. There is still a stack of UFOs (I started with 33 this year and am down to 20). I have some show quilts that came back from shows nearly a year ago that need to have storage bags made for them. I have several finished show quilts that I never put labels or hanging sleeves on because Covid hit just as it was getting to be time to enter them. I really just want to sit and do some mindless sewing and quilting for relaxation ... Clearly that's a lot of things that I want and/or need to do. I think I need to figure out how to narrow the list down so that I don't feel that I've got pinball brain... So that's my organizing goal for today.

Anyone else having this problem???
Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-19-2020 at 06:52 AM.