View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 04:54 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I sell quilts for their value. People will pay what they are worth, as long as you market them that way. I usually recommend to someone who wants to sell quilts to start with having a couple they made appraised. The American Quilters Society certifies appraisers and has a list of certified appraisers listed by state. Once you have a couple appraised you will see what they are worth ( insurance value- what it would cost to replace them) then, if someone asks about buying a quilt from you you can show them the appraisal and give them a deal- I’ve had quilts I have $300-$500 into making, appraised at $3,800, sold for $2,650 - the buyer felt he got a great deal. I include a copy of the appraisal with the quilt for their insurance purposes. If you undermine yourself people will expect nothing more.
I sell baby quilts for $125-$175. And can’t keep up with the requests ( I hate making baby quilts- for no apparent reason- they are always adorable- I just don’t enjoy making them.
I generally sell 10-15 queen or king size quilts a year, supports my ( habit) and usually allows us some extra weekend trips and a vacation