Old 11-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Iceblossom

Debs, there is no one way to scrap quilt, especially when using actual scraps. It has taken me years to develop my own "rules for random" both by experience and by book learning. Book-wise, it's old (1985 -- although it was brand new when I first saw it) and we no longer use the construction techniques but the book Scrap Quilts by Judy Martin changed my quilting career, it was the first time I had ever seen scrap quilts I liked. For techniques in dealing with scraps, Karla Alexander in her Stack the Deck books (especially book 1) explains/shows a "shuffling" technique that is similar to what I do.
https://www.amazon.com/Stack-Deck-Cr.../dp/1564774341

The way Bonnie does the mysteries, we don't always know whether one week will interconnect with another one, they may or may not. I prefer to approach my colors so that red is red and blue is blue (or whatever we are using) so it doesn't really matter what we choose. But I also try to balance them out across the quilt so instead of going from the top down in my fabrics and using up all of one piece before I start on the next, I look at the fabric and think something like "well, I've got 10 fabrics and need 58 pieces so I'll just cut 6 of each to start and then take out two randomly. Sometimes that might mean I'm using up all of a particular scrap, and sometimes that is just half a strip of yardage...

But as for me, we haven't started yet and I'm officially behind! This has been a tough year even without Covid and I just haven't been very productive. So I'm behind on my Frolic UFO and I'm behind on my fabric selections. Last year I was all ready to cut at this point. In addition, I have a couple hours worth of errand tomorrow too.

But -- I'll have things cleaned up by tonight since we aren't doing anything else around here and even if I'm not thrilled with what fabrics I grab, again, that's the point of scrappy sort of. I'm sure I'll be able to deal with whatever Clue 1 is before Clue 2 comes out. Maybe