Old 11-26-2020, 09:19 AM
joe'smom

DebLuvsQuilting, I figure that the big factor in the question of how many fabrics to use per clue is -- how many clues will use a particular color? And of course, we don't know. So if I save half of my golds to use in the second gold clue, and there turns out to be only one clue that uses gold, I've missed out on using half of my gold fabrics. The one place I have felt fairly safe using only a limited number of fabrics per clue is with the neutrals, because I've never known a Bonnie quilt not to use neutrals in several clues. I think the same would go for the gray this year.

Then there is the question of how many times a color will be used in a single block. Ideally, I hope not to repeat fabrics in a block, so say there is a unit in the block that uses gold, and that unit repeats eight times in the block, I'd want at least that number of golds. But again, we don't know. I've found that using a different group of neutrals for different clues helps not to repeat the same neutrals within a block, since often more than one unit in the block has used neutrals.

I'm thinking I will probably try to incorporate a little of each of my fabrics of each color group in each clue, other than the gray (and neutral if I weren't going with a constant). I'll probably divide my grays into several groups that I think go well together, to use in different clues.