View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
jaman12

I am in the process of making a memory quilt out of my dad's clothes. It's a combo of cotton and jeans.

The main part of the quilt is 8 inch sqaures of cotton fabrics that goes 5 across and 7 down.

I am using his jeans to do the border which is 4 inches wide pieces that have been pieced together in different sizes in length. I was hoping to do kinda a rustic look with the jeans so I left the edges of the jeans exposed so the will rag when washed.

I am using flannel as backing. Along the outer edge where I sewed the flannel to the jeans, I left a 1/2 inch seam allowance on the edges of both the jeans and flannel exposed to they will rag as well.

When making a rag quilt, I've read that you should cut into the seam allowance about every 1/4 inch for flannel. With the top of the edges being denim and the bottom (backing) being flannel, should I snip just the flannel or both the flannel and jeans? Jeans usually ravel/rag fairly well on their own but I didn't know if it were better to snip them too.

Does that make sense? I just want the edges of the border (both out and inner, along with the seams of the pieces) to rag and looks a little rustic.

What do you think?