View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 PM
peaceandjoy

For those looking for a comfy seat enhancer, Bonnie Hunter has a coupon on her blog for a Sew Pad right now. Quite expensive, but is the same material used in wheelchair seats with an air mesh cover. I have not used one, so have no personal experience, but thought somebody may want to check it out. www.sewpad.com Bonnie's blog has a code for free shipping. Her website is https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...ng-wishes.html.

Not exactly a notion, but the reason I have not tried the Sew Pad is that I have a Heavenly Sewing chair that is the bee's knees. If you have back or hip pain, I cannot recommend it highly enough. All task style chairs are not made the same.

I have the Tucker Trimmer as well as the Wing Clipper. One for HST's and one for FG. Both work well as you are making larger and trimming down, so end up with perfect units. I will admit that I rarely use them anymore.

I did not like the June Taylor strip cutter at all. Those slots seemed to wobble all over the place. Now I have the Creative Grids Stripology ruler (I have the 1st one that came out, there are now 2 other models). I LOVE it for strip cutting - so much so that I use it all of the time and never used my Accuquilt so sold the Accuquilt. It just took up too much space.

Rotating mats: LOVE the Martelli. It has ball bearings so has a nice, smooth turn every time and is built to be sturdy. The green square one, the Olfa, was awful! It didn't rotate, I had to push it so hard that anything on it shifted, so kind of defeated the purpose. I got the 3 piece set, but don't ever use the ironing side. The original is 17" and they now have a Mini that is 10" which would probably work for me as I make mostly smaller units. It's a lot less expensive; if I were shopping for one I'd get the mini base and cutting mat and not get the ironing portion.

No Frixion pens for me, I've heard too many horror stories. the manufacturer says they are not designed for fabric. they have 2 inks, a thermal one that disappears with heat and a gel that stays behind. I do not want to risk having that gel stain or leave a ghost mark.

My worst purchase (so far, at least!) is Roxanne thimble - way too heavy and hurts an arthritic knuckle and both Thimble Lady and Barnett's quilting hoops. I cannot seem to grasp the motion needed, or perhaps am just not willing to put in the practice I need?