Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM
sewingpup

I got a Bernina 215 for under $1000. It has a small sized neck however, there is a Bernina ruler foot that fits it and I have using it to practice ruler work and am having fun. I also have a larger Bernina 570 which the ruler foot also fits and will use that machine when I decide to stop practicing and actually do something bigger than my practice piece. You will want to check and see that there is a ruler foot for whatever machine you get. and If you can, get one that can handle the 1/4 inch thick quilting rulers. The low shank machines often can not and you need to get the rulers that are specifically designed for the low shank ruler foot. You can not use regular feet to do ruler work as the ruler could slide beneath the foot when stitching...not good. I used to have a megaquilter 1200 which is a straight stitch only machine and has 9 inches to the right of the needle. My friend used it for free motion and really liked it for that. The feed dogs on this machine do not drop but there was a plate that would go over the feed dogs. I have seen these machines for less than $1000 and also the Pfaff hobby grand quilter also is the same machine just a different skin on it and I think both of them are actually made by Janome? and there is a Janome model that is comparable.