View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 06:30 AM
Railroadersbrat

Default Quilters and Cross-Stitchers

So I did something pretty silly the other morning, I was out with Butters and Poe letting them potty, stepped wrong, twisted my ankle up pretty good, wrenched my back and tweaked my sciatica. Yeah, it wasn't pretty in the least, but I saved myself from a fall that would have been a lot worse and I would have ended up face first in freezing cold mud.

Since I'm laid up and can't sit at my sewing machine for long, I decided to finally break out a project that's been in the back of my mind for years. It's a cross-stitch pattern of the story of Rainbow Bridge. I'm going to make it into a quilted wall hanging and I'm considering donating it to my niece's vet office, she's a vet tech in Kansas City and they do wonderful things for the families that have to say good-bye to their furry family members and I think the wall hanging would be perfect for them.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take, I'm not really a fast cross-stitcher like I used to be because of my carpal tunnel, arthritis and now dealing with tendon lock, but for a project of this size (the size of the cross-stitch panel alone is roughly 12 x 36in.), slow and steady is the way to go so I don't make mistakes. I have, however, found out something rather interesting and thought I would post it here.

I used to be able to cross-stitch in bed, when I had pneumonia when I worked for the railroad and I was laid up for two and a half weeks, I would pass the time cross-stitching. This time, though, once I got all of my cross-stitching supplies in my bag and I was nestled in with Butters and Poe, I started cross-stitching fine but then discovered that I couldn't do it for long anymore while I was in bed. I actually had to get up, get into a comfortable chair and then I could keep going. I've since moved back into my quilting corner at my desk and I'm able to cross-stitch much longer and more comfortable.

I don't think it's because of my injuries, it just feels a little more natural to sit at the desk and cross-stitch. My computer monitor is right in front of me, so I'm able to watch whatever I want, I'm actually closer to the kitchen and bathroom being in here, I think it's the level of comfort for me. I'm just curious how others cross-stitch, are you the kind that can cross-stitch anywhere and everywhere in whatever position you can get yourself into, or are do you sit at a desk or table and do it?

I'll be sure to post progress pictures, just a curious thought that passed inside my brain and thought it would be good to talk about.
Attached Thumbnails rainbow-bridge.jpg