View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
sewcrafty

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
"You know I called a Bernina dealer and spoke with someone that really couldn't give me any info. She kept asking someone else for answers, but the one that had the answers I guess didn't feel it was important enough to come to the phone. Won't be buying a Bernina!!! Can't expect very good service from there!!"

Sewcrafty

Maybe there was a reason that person could not come to the phone. Maybe the one you were talking to was a recently new employee and was getting experience. Have to start somewhere. It does take a while to learn. Think of how many different machines a dealer sells or even how many different brands. I worked for a dealer and believe me, NO ONE knows everything. Even managers. And lots of places hire people who have no sewing or machine experience. Their reasoning is that they can teach anyone to sell machines. There usually is a script for each machine which covers the basic stitches and features and a few speciality stitches. Where the sewing experience comes in handy is for class instructions. But, even there it is not necessary to be able to sew.

As far as service from the dealer, doesn't Bernina have a repair person on site? The Viking Gallery dealer I use sends the machines to Ohio. I knew a lot about the machines Viking sold, but that computer cash register was a different story. A few times I had to call the manager at home to make a sale. Just something different about the purchase that was not in the manual.

Just a thought from someone who has been on the other side.
Any other dealer that I've spoken with, Janome, Brother & Husqvarna all took the time to answer any questions. I know the Janome and Husqvarna had repair sites there. Didn't that info from the Bernina dealer and forgot to ask Brother also.