Old 12-06-2020, 05:55 PM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by happylab
I was wondering how much yellow we have left? I started with 3 yards and do my blocks differently than the way she shows. So my initial row cuts are a little larger starting out. I’m asking b/c I want to use the excess for another mystery.
- I cut out my strips and marked over 1/2 of the 1/2 square for the hour glass blocks. Tomorrow AM I will finish marking and sew all of that step.
- I’m making a queen or king size top for this project. If I like the reveal, I will enlarge to king, otherwise I plan to keep it a queen and follow her pattern exactly.
This is my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery, so my analysis is based only on math. And because I don’t want to give anything away, I won’t show my work, so even my math could be wrong.

Given the above, the yellow yardage requirements were a little more than 12% of the total yardage. I think it’s likely that the yardage requirements were probably rounded up to an even amount (that is, even if Bonnie thought we needed only 7/8s of a yard, she would have suggested having at least 1 yard).

When Clue 2 is finished, the yellow portions will make up about 6% of the finished size of the quilt. After accounting for seam allowances, it is possible we are mostly finished with the yellow.

In contrast, the grey fabric makes up 40% of the required fabric and the grey portions used in Clues 1 and 2 make up less than 4% of the finished quilt. So we are going to be using a lot more grey before this project is finished.

Hope this helps.