Old 12-07-2020, 06:23 AM
Macybaby

I decided to jump in and have clue one sewn and clue two cut. I'm swapping brown for grey as I have lots of brown and almost no greys!

When trying to extrapolate based on yardage, one needs to consider seams and if you have a lot of smaller pieces, you can need twice as much fabric and have less visible on the front. Example, I made a quilt that was all 1.5" squares unfinished. So, for each 2.25 sq inches of fabric needed, only 1 sq inch is "visible" on the face. 55.6 % of the fabric gets used in the seams.

On contrast, if you have all 3.5" squares. for each 12.25 square inch of fabric, 9 square inches is visible, only 26.5% of the fabric is used in seams.

So, if you had a quilt that was 70" square and half was green 3" squares and half was made up of 3" four patch that were yellow and blue, taking into account that we normally list fabric in 1/4 yard increments, a pattern might say you need 2.25 yards of green and 2 yards each of yellow and blue. 2.25/2/2 ratio, which one would think means you'll have almost equal amounts of each color showing. But in the finished quilt, you'll have 2/1/1 color ratio.

So even though based on yardage, it might seem that there is going to be a lot of a specific color, it may just mean there are going to be a lot of smaller pieces (and way more seam allowance) of that color.

We do know Bonnie likes small pieces. She did say their would be some string piecing for the grey, and that is going to take up a lot of yardage in seam allowances.