Thread: AccuQuilt
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Maire

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I have a Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutter that I absolutely love. I can use the AccuQuilt dies or Siizzix dies in my Sizzix. Both the initial Sizzix "machine" and dies are MUCH less expensive than the AccuQuilt versions, but work exactly the same way. (For example, a die to cut 2-1/2" strips is $40 for Sizzix compared to $80.45 for an Accuquilt die the last time I checked on Amazon.)
The dies do dull after 100's of cuts. I haven't tried to sharpen mine yet. As for the clear cutting pads/mats, I have never had a problem with one breaking or cracking and I've used them a LOT. I saw a YouTube video where someone substituted a regular cutting mat for the clear Sizzix mat/pad. I ordered a large self healing cutting mat from an online art supply source for $30 and my husband cut it into 4 mats sized for the Sizzix. They work just like the Sizzix mats, but are a lot cheaper. I really like my Sizzix Big Shot Plus - it saves me lots of time and the cuts are always perfect.
I 2nd this, love my Sizzix! Cut out 200 Dresden plate shapes this week. I never thought of using a cutting mat though, sounds like a good idea.
I recently saw where Sizzix has an electric Big Shot model out (not the Vagabond) , it was on sale this week, regular price $229. on sale on Amazon $158, and since it is my birthday next week, I ordered it. When it arrives I'll do a review.
I actually haven't had a problem with the manual crank but I'm 81, had one shoulder replacement surgery (not because of the Sizzix) and want to avoid any extra strain.