Thread: 1st FMQ Block
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM
CaleyH

Since I don't like making lots of threads about the same subject, I will continue here with my 2nd FMQ block. I again drew a pattern on the quilt top with heat erasable ink. The pattern is a continuous eight point star, which I drew to the edge seam. Then I drew a second smaller star within the big star. That's why I call this a star in a star in a star.

Actually I don't think this is a free motion quilting. I used a walking foot, as it seems my quilt top wasn't thin enough for the foot to allow the sandwich to slide under at several seam intersections. This quilt block was one of my very first. The seams are bulky, and I cut away the 1/4 inch allowance around the block to make it the correct dimension. Didn't know what I was doing at the time. Guess that's why it is being used to experiment with quilting.

I'm still occasionally having a seam flip on me, without my knowing. But I am getting better, slooooowly.

Now I have to prepare another of my early experimental blocks to try another pattern. Hopefully my seams are flatter, and I can actually use the darning foot for actual FMQing.
Attached Thumbnails star-star-star-small.jpg