View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 AM
joe'smom

Great topic, tallchick! (I am a shortchick named Lisa, LOL.)

A couple of years ago, I began to want to understand who I am as a quilter. It seemed admirable to me that you can instantly tell an Edyta Sitar quilt, or a Tula Pink, or Bonnie Hunter. etc. What sort of quilt did I like best, and where do I want to go with my quilting? At the same time, I felt a great impatience with my stash, so I started picking out focus fabrics, organizing fabric groups around them and matching them with patterns. I was too impatient to finish the quilts -- I wanted to whip through them and get my stash under control. I started prepping, or kitting up, the quilts -- cutting, and making units to whatever point made the most sense for storing the projects. I figure that by the time I work with all of these fabric and pattern genres, I should have a better sense of what kind of quilt and what sorts of fabrics I enjoy working on/with most. My thought is that I won't necessarily finish all of these to completed quilts, but that I can donate or try to sell the tops or blocks I'm less interested in giving more time to.

So that is my goal for the coming year -- continuing the prepping project. And also, improving my bedtime habits so that I get more sleep, so my back has time to recuperate and doesn't constantly wimp out on me while I'm working.