Old 12-19-2020, 11:22 PM
leheath8

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I would say, do not square them to a smaller size at this point!

Is the fabric pre-washed? If not, I guess the steam could be an issue. Thinner fabrics do tend to cause more problems, in my experience.

Are the units 1/8 too short measured along the bottom as well as along the top? There was an Allietare rectangular unit (old BH mystery) that I couldn't get to come out square, but I was able to use the units anyway.
@joe'smom The fabric is not pre-washed and typically they are only measuring too short along the top, but not the bottom. I measured the individual neutral/gray HSTs and the units from clue #3 and they were correctly sized, so it was definitely how I was putting them together. So today I starched the fabrics more heavily (especially the thinner neutral), use little or no steam when pressing, and sewed the seams more scantly (is that even a word?!)...and about 30% come out perfect...the rest are less than 1/8" off and are mostly very close to rectangles rather than parallelograms! I re-did all the ones from last night and they are much better now. I have about 1/3 left to finish but didn't want to do them as I got tired tonight, so will get them done tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to make them all work in the final quilt.

I'll admit I am not a huge fan of this unit. I don't like flying geese either, so maybe that's why?! But mostly, I think it was just rather fiddly for my liking. I cut my triangles with my Accuquilt Go and I think if I were doing this unit again, I'd use a different method for the clue #4 part so I could cut them a bit bigger and have a larger margin of error during final assembly.