Thread: Tasty Pastes
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:38 AM
tropit

Default Tasty Pastes

A new year is about to start, so why not try some new foods while we're still sheltering in place. I've been looking through my cookbook, Miso, Tempeh, Natto and Other Tasty Ferments, A Step by Step Guide to Fermenting Grains and Beans, by Kirsten and Christopher Shockey. (I highly recommend this book!)

Tasty pastes are something new to me, but they sound so intriguing! Basically, they are miso, fermented with different things. My favorite one that I want to try, is Shitake Tasty Paste. I love miso, I love shitake mushrooms, what could go wrong with that combo? The basic recipe takes chopped up shitake ushrooms, a couple tablespoons of white miso and ferments them together for a couple of months. The result is a thick paste that can be diluted into a broth, or used in eggs, stir fries, or maybe even as a spread on cracker. It's supposed to taste very, very mushroomy. An added plus is that as it ferments, it also develops some liquid on the top, aka mushroom tamari. I've got to try this recipe.

Other recipes for tasty pastes in this book include: Nut and seeds TP, Apricot TP and Macadamia Tasty Paste. I want to try them all!