View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 10:11 AM
origamigoldfish

Default Sewing Room Upgrade

For the last couple of years I have carved a little sewing space out of my family's tiny storage room. A few weeks ago I got an upgrade...our spare bedroom furniture was donated to someone who would actually use it, and now I have an entire bedroom to use as my sewing space! I am beyond thrilled for this....it is mentally exhausting to try to be creative when your sewing machine is sitting right next to the weedeater, rakes, and shovels (we still don't have a shed, but that's another story).

This is a nice space, and I am going to use my tax refund to spruce it up and make it workable for me. The room isn't large, but there is a south facing window for excellent light, and a tv with satellite and internet connections. The carpet is in bad shape, but I already have a pile of laminate flooring salvaged from a friend's house to put in there. The only other physical updates the room needs is a ceiling fan and a can of paint. I will probably put some uv reflective film on the window so I can leave fabric out without worrying so much about fading and to help keep out the summer heat, the ac isn't the greatest in there.

I would like to turn this room into a complete sewing studio: sewing station, cutting station, pressing station, design wall. All my fabric and books in there as well, and hopefully a window seat for hand sewing where I can see the garden. All that is left in the room is a small bookshelf with the tv on it, and a dresser with a mirror. I am figuring my books and patterns can go on the bookshelf, and I can use the drawers of the dresser to store thread, notions, and rulers. I have two sewing machines to put in there, one treadle and one that just sits on a hollow core plastic table, a desk chair, and a big bulky cabinet in another room that I think could work as a pressing table. The closet is long and narrow, and while off season clothing is stored in half of it, I can have the other half for my fabric.

I am cheerfully mapping out the room on graph paper and trying to decide on the best layout for everything. I want to keep things functional, as clutter free as possible, and somewhat portable. We are planning on moving within a few years, so I don't want to dump a lot of money into things I can't pack up and take with me. My whole budget for this project is roughly $1200, and I'm not afraid of doing the work myself.

I am leaning towards some flatpack furniture from somewhere like ikea, all on a level with the top of the treadle, in a horseshoe shape, with the design wall on the biggest wall of the room opposite the countertops.

I don't really have any questions right now, I just got access to the room this week. I just wanted to start a thread and share my good luck, and see if I get any good suggestions.

Thanks for reading!