View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 07:20 AM
OurWorkbench

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 2

Cheryl & Chris

Cheryl and Chris have been involved with several projects that they share with us.

Merry Christmas from Cherry and Chris,
Chris did a bit of woodworking and refinishing this past month and I (Cherry) did sewing.
Chris stripped, sanded and re-shellacked the top of a cabinet for an 1891 Singer VS2. I'd previously
cleaned up the head as much as I could, given how bad the shellac was on it, not to mention all the
paint chips. The plated metal parts shined up. The cabinet top had seen a lot of use and had many deep scratches that weren't going to come out unless it was reveneered.

It also had some staining that went too deep into the veneer. Chris spent quite a bit of time sanding it, then shellacking it multiple times, sanding with 0000 synthetic pads between coats. The top is now smooth and
buffed. We call the deep scratches and such under the shellac "history." If someone wants to reveneer it in
the future, they can have at it.

cheryl-pxl_20201226_225903470.portraita.jpg

cheryl-singervs21891a.jpg

I finished a cross stitch of a treadle machine with a cat on it. Chris made a frame for it out of our walnut stash and routered it to give it an old treadle cabinet style.

cheryl-pxl_20201228_184155070a.jpg

I sewed a skirt for my daughter for Christmas using a vintage Gunne Sax pattern from my younger days. I used
the electrified Davis for most of the sewing. I really like how the Davis sewed the many yards of ribbon on the
skirt.

cheryl-img_20201225_152340a.jpg

While I was sewing the waistband on the skirt, Chris took a slow motion closeup video of the Davis foot in action. It is really cool!

New video by cheryl netter
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VocWVfdnJPYVFB

And Chris got to play Santa some more in his new red night shirt - sewn on the Davis.

cheryl-img_0155_final_with_boarder.jpg

.... to be continued