View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 07:27 AM
OurWorkbench

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 3

Courtney

Courtney tells us about his Christmas holidays:

Dear All,

Following up from a couple of months ago, I purchased some urethane belting material and made a belt for my little Singer #20 electric machine (see picture).

courtney-singer-20.jpg

I have a few more projects for the belting: the first are new belts for my Singer #24 electric machines and the last is a treadle belt for my portable Willcox and Gibbs machine that I take to “History Fest” and demonstrate to the fourth graders at our “Centennial Village” here in Greeley.

Christmas was quite nice to me. My daughter and her ex-roommate sent me an antique sewing table. Cordelia is still real close to her ex-roommate and they had to do a lot of rearranging so her ex-roommate could make a place for home schooling. The ex-roommate said she would donate the table if Cordelia would pay the shipping. It needs a bit of work but I should be able to do that in the shop. I have included a picture of the table and another Christmas present. This one from my wife, its a Willcox and Gibbs English Handcrank (miniature.) I have also included a close up of the miniature.

courtney-sm-table.jpg

courtney-w-g-miniture.jpg

Finally the Saturday before Christmas I got an email from a woman I have worked with at the Boulder County Agricultural Heritage Museum in Longmont. She said that she had an older friend who was sickly and had to move out of her apartment. Her friend had a vintage Kenmore 90 (150.904) in good shape except for the need of a belt and they didn’t want to just throw it away. I made arrangements to meet her at a drive-in in Longmont to pick up the machine. It was generally in good shape except for a few recent scratches. It included all the attachments, a Kenmore button holer, and a compete set of 30 cams. When I got the machine home I looked inside and found that the belt was still there, it was just that the pulley on the motor shaft had come loose and the belt had slipped off. I tightened the pulley, re-attached and tightened the belt. The machine is now running. I was quite impressed with how quiet the machine is. I was also surprised that ten of the cams are double cams meaning that they not only control the zig-zag stitch but also control the direction of the stitch forward and backwards much like the Elna double cams. I was also impressed with the weight of the machine, nearly 50 pounds. It makes a Singer 201 feel almost like a featherweight! I have included a couple of pictures.

courtney-kenmore-90a.jpg

courtney-kenmore-90b.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
Courtney

.... to be continued