View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 07:41 AM
OurWorkbench

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 5

I did get my first sewing related gifts for Christmas after people knew about my collecting machines. From my younger sister I received 3 reproduction sewing machine patents with an aged look suitable for framing and putting with the sewing machines.

james-image6.jpg

james-image7.jpg

james-image8.jpg

One of my recent acquisitions is an Eldredge chain stitch machine with a nice domed wood case. The case is in very good shape with some loss of veneer at several corners. Since the missing sections are so small, I think I can get one of those free samples of veneer flooring with the closest match and shave them to fit. Unfortunately a prior owner thought that having flower decals on the case would be an improvement as I doubt they are original. There is one on both sides. The Eldredge was made by National Sewing Machine Company and is a very close copy of a Willcox and Gibbs. It is pretty frozen so will need a lot of work to free up. Of interest is the use of a swing away motor to run the machine. This one is mounted on the base instead of on the head as with many swing away motors with other machines. It came with an unusual foot pedal with a rather clever internal design and the wiring is easily in the worst condition I have yet seen!

james-image9.jpeg

james-image10.jpeg

.... to be continued