Old 01-02-2021, 09:18 AM
ElleGM

Smile Loving to Piece and Quilt

I am just beginning my quilting journey. When I retired in 2016 I thought I would relearn to sew. I sewed quite a lot in high school and my early 20's mostly because my father was a part owner of a wholesale fabric company and I could pretty much get whatever I wanted or needed. When Dad retired I realized how expensive fabric had become and I stopped sewing for myself and the children because it was just cheaper to buy from Target and I had gone back to work so time was limited. I somehow gathered quite a lot of cotton fabric in the last couple of years. I purchased some fat quarters at Joann's thinking I would make some little projects and a friend gave me her stash of cotton. In the beginning of the pandemic I was sewing masks for everyone but now that it is possible to buy high-quality masks, I have turned my attention to other projects and discovered quilting. My grandmother made applique quilts (scraps from my Dad's business) but I have found several great classes on line and quite enjoy piecing and quilting. Right now I am using my store of fabric to make blocks and then I frame them with neutral color fabric and sew into pillows. I am getting ready to take a class to make a table runner. I have purchased a better grade of fabric and am gathering the necessary supplies for the course. I am learning so much from the online classes and from this forum. Thank you to all the quilters for such interesting and informative posts.