Old 01-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Irishrose2

I may be the oldest 'New to quilting' person here. My grandmother was a fantastic hand quilter - she supported herself making quilts after my grandfather died. A $40 pension didn't go very far. My mother sewed clothing, with some difficulty, but no quilts. I sewed my first dresses when I was eleven - two for my grandmother and then a few things for me in high school. After marrying, I made everything the children and I wore - winter coats, suits for my son, wedding dresses, etc.
When I retired at 70 because my back couldn't take concrete floors and small chairs any longer, I was sad because I didn't know I was going to do if I couldn't teach children to read. The next Sunday, a woman at church asked me to make a prayer quilt. Sure, I can do that. Chose a pattern with small pieces and partial seams and started. I had to learn to sew exact seams, but my years of apparel and home dec sewing were helpful.
I know what I can do with the rest of my life - prayer quilts, donation quilts for fund raisers and gifts for family and friends. I've yet to do one for me and it's been 10 years.
Self taught except one 2 hour FMQ class that didn't go well.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 01-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.