Old 01-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Cheshirepat

It's interesting to read everyone's experiences and creative bug bite stories!
My grandmother was the sewist in the family, she made matchy outfits for us as kids. She was an amazing tailor, really. No job too big. She never quilted, but she did teach us how to thread the machine, and put a stitch into fabric...and how to crochet.
I never took sewing in Home Ec, I took cooking, and then in a moment of rebellion and "I won't be pinned down as a girly girl!" I took shop. Now, I wish I had learned how to sew clothes! Many years after H.S. I took to the concept of quilting after seeing a show, and I bought myself the machine I could afford, but never took a class. The machine was basically trash, and I didn't make much sewing progress, oddly! Finally bought myself a decent machine in the late 90's and took a beginner's class. I've been off and on with sewing ever since. I can count completed quilts with a few fingers to spare, but I have made a number of pillow tops, placemats, etc. over the years...the creative bug is in me, for sure. I absolutely love putting fabric under the machine!