Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 PM
SouthPStitches

My Mom and Aunt knitted. My Gram crocheted. My Mom sewed the majority of my school clothes. Home Ed was mandatory - cooking in 7th grade, sewing in 8th grade. Absolutely despised sewing but put the hatred behind me so that I had more clothing. Always dabbled in some form of needlework or textiles - macrame, candlewicking, cross stitchery, crewel, needlepoint, crocheting and knitting. After college and marriage, I took an adult enrichment class of basic quilting. It was taught by a very lovely southern lady and it was indeed basic. She showed us how to make our own cereal box cardboard templates, transferring the pieces onto the back of the fabric, using pencils to trace with and cutting out a gazillion pieces with scissors. This was before rotary cutters and mats. I loved the look and dimension that quilting had. Also loved that I had a domestic skill that none of the ladies in my family had. My first quilt was a trip around the world in red white and blue - queen size and every single stitch was done by hand. After that, I didn't do a smidgeon of quilting for ten years. We moved, my new neighbor saw the quilt on my bed and told me that it was a shame to have the ability to make a quilt and not continuing to do so. That was 33 years ago and I'm still at it and can still hear Mary's voice.