Thread: Validation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 01:22 PM
deborahscanlon

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
I just want to make a comment about validation to all of you who have shared beautiful memories of your validation experiences. Back in my cross stitch days I was in the middle of a project to be for my mother. Halfway through, I showed it to her and told her it was for her and she glanced at it and said, "Oh, I don't really like that home made stuff". I tossed the project in the trash and never ever made anything for my mother. Then I discovered quilting and became decent at it. I made a quilt for my only granddaughter, an adult school teacher. It consisted of 12in blocks of appliqued owls sitting on tree limbs. It was adorable and I was so proud of it and thought maybe she would hang it in her school room. I visited her a couple months later and noticed it folded up on a shelf in the linen closet. So quilting friends, enjoy all the validation you receive. Lap it up, and start your next quilt.
I'm sorry your mother and granddaughter didn't appreciate what you had made but I'm sure we have all had that happen. I remember myself making my sister-in-law a cross stitch for her kitchen. It was near perfect and so pretty and I remember wanting to keep it but I gave it to her instead. I clearly recall the disappointment in her face that it was her gift. I probably spent 40 or 50 hours on it. I never made her anything again. My stepdaugther too, she has 3 children and when the kids were young, I always made them matching outfits. There wasn't a matching set that they didn't go get their pictures taken in. Yet one Xmas she came right out and said that she didn't want any handmade things to be their gifts. It was as if she wanted the things but they had no value and didn't count as a gift. They always got other gifts too. It was very upsetting and her dad didn't talk to her for a long time knowing the time and care I put into the things I made. But neither bothered me other than recalling the bad feelings at the time because that just gave me more time to make for those who like my things and appreciate homemade goods.

Personally, anything anyone has ever made me, no matter how small never gets thrown away. Things could be worn out and torn and I keep them because I treasure the fact that someone thought enough of me to make me something.

Thank goodness that you kept on making and disregarded the disappointment. The world needs more makers and creative souls and I'm glad you are still one.