View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 09:18 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
Tropit, you gave me inspiration and made me thaw out my milk kefir bugs. I was worried about whether they had survived the 4 or 5 year frozen rest I had given them. I warmed them up on my counter for several hours and then put some 2% milk on them. Left them in the fridge overnight, and then put them on my counter next to a salt lamp. Two days later I had curds and whey. I disposed of that first batch, rinsed my bugs and started another pint next to the salt lamp. Hoping for good kefir tomorrow. I may still order some water grains just to have an alternative taste sometimes.
Barb, I'm so glad to help you get started. I love, love, love experimenting in my kitchen with interesting foods. I'm glad that you've caught the bug.

Although, I haven't made milk kefir in many years, I'm thinking that you may have one of two problems...either your kefir grains are no longer viable, or that lamp may have made them too warm. You can get these small thermometer strips that adhere to a jar, which can help you know what temp your kefir is at, just at a glance. They're super cheap and can go stay on the jar when it goes through the dishwasher. One place that you can find them is at https://shop.culturesforhealth.com/p...mp-thermometer . They may not be the cheapest place, but I know that they carry them. I have 2 strips now, but want to get some more.