Old 01-24-2021, 05:58 AM
Macybaby

I showed up at the meeting not knowing anyone. I also showed up a bit early so I could ask about joining and all that. There was a time for new people to be introduced, so that did happen. Those sitting right next to me were friendly.

After the meeting there was a social aspect, everyone broke into groups and they were all chatting and having a good time, no one asked me to join and as I looked around, it really looked like I'd be interfering if I tried to butt into one of the groups, so after standing around and looking at things on tables, I left.

I kept going for several more meetings, and they were about the same. Never got approached by anyone other than to say hello at the start. I work full time, and most of the extra stuff was done during the work week so signing up was never an option. I attended 3-4 meetings and then missed one, and when I went back they were all taking about the Christmas party and I felt totally lost as it was obvious this was discussed at the meeting I missed. They were all very excited and I really felt left out (again). I wasn't going to sign up for the Christmas party and find myself sitting alone so that was the last meeting I attended. Never got any contact from anyone with the guild when I stopped showing up.

BTW - I think there were normally 35-40 people at a meeting, and it was a smaller community so most people were family friends or long time acquaintances. Since DH and I had no family in the state, it was like since I wasn't related to anyone, no one wanted me to join in their group. Those that were brought by friends and introduced around that way seemed to be more accepted.

I have since moved and hope to find a group to join, but I didn't move far enough away to be in an area with a different guild. There isn't much in the way of quilting groups around.