View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 06:38 AM
maudeflanagan

Default Converted Singer 99 to a Handcrank

Hello All,

I wanted to share my latest vintage machine acquisition. I was given this little Singer 99 last year. I have been wanting to add a handcrank machine to my fleet, but the price has always made me shy away from them. When I realized I could convert the 99 to a handcrank for very little cost, I went for it.

Preferably, I would have picked up a genuine Singer crank, but those are well over $100 if you can get one. I also would have needed to get ahold of a spokes wheel to accept it. Instead, I bought a wheel and crank from overseas and performed the conversion for $40. Later, I would like to get genuine parts, so I will be on the lookout for those. Meanwhile, I have a working machine that I can use. I lovingly refer to it as my apocalyptic sewing machine 😂

The machine was completely locked up when it came to me. The base is one I had laying around. I had to cut an opening in the bottom to allow for the gear underneath to pop out. As a result, thicker rubber feet also had to be added to give everything table clearance.

Thanks for looking!