View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 AM
OurWorkbench

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together Part 1

The new year started here in Colorado with unseasonably warm January weather, many 50s and 60s, with only a little snow in the Denver area. We still see the effects of Covid distancing, but some restaurants are beginning to open up again, slowly and carefully.

We are again doing a virtual meeting, with several of our members sending pictures and descriptions of their work over the last month. With the internet and other technologies we are able to keep in touch with each other until we can again meet in person.

In our postings here, everyone can review the meeting remotely. With that said, let's get the virtual meeting started.

Dianne

Dianne sent us a note about what she's been doing over the last month.

This past month has seen lots of sewing of quilts for Firehouse Quilts, which is having a drop-off for donations on Monday, Feb. 1. My contribution will be a dozen this time, from snuggle size, about 45x45, up to a large twin/double. A week was spent working on a new-to-me sewing machine. It was built to last a thousand years, except for one part. Dan and I will be working on that, and also have a lead on someone else who might be able to fabricate the part if we don't succeed. I might have the correct needle, but won't know for sure until the part we need is made and functioning. It will be a mystery until then.

Yesterday I started a much needed effort to sort/clean/reorganize my room for machines, sewing, books and computer. This could take a while!

Dianne

Leon

Leon got an interesting new machine and sent pictures of it.

Latest baby.

This New England Queen by National followed me home yesterday. When I got it, the presser foot would move. Nothing else. One day later I am ready to steal a shuttle and bobbin from another and try to figure out what needle to use. And stitch length control needs attention. Should be more fun. Iris is hard at work at the Capitol again. I have been working for the State of Kansas now for 40 years.

leon-img_20210128_110837.jpg

leon-img_20210128_110924.jpg

leon-img_20210128_111827.jpg

John responded to Leon with a question.

Hi Leon - It's John,

Got the pictures of your new baby which we will post this month.

Just curious. How does the rotary motion coming down the pillar get
converted to the motions needed for the vibrating shuttle and feed
dogs? It makes me wish I could see a picture of the underside of the
machine.

John

Leon responded:

Here ya go. I shot the pics already. Nice to hear from you.

leon-vsm-new-england-queen-rotarty-cam-shuttle-arm-full-c.jpg

After seeing the underside, John thinks this is a drive mechanism that he hasn't seen before.

.... to be continued

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-03-2021 at 06:54 AM.