View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:01 AM
OurWorkbench

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together -- Part 3

Courtney

Courtney has been doing some work with quilting, which he tells us about.

This last month I have not gotten a lot done on sewing machines. I have spent most of my time trying to finish my "Sugaridoo" quilt. I have included pictures of the finished top in previous months but now I can happily say that the whole quilt now finished! I have had a great time working on this quilt. Each month I would eagerly await the instructions for the next row . I have learned a great deal doing this quilt, it was just what I needed. I am now working on finishing a quilt I started some time ago. I have the top done and I just need to make the sandwich and quilt it. Maybe next month.

I really do not need a serger because I do not make clothing, but a month or so ago I did purchase one locally here for $20. It is an older model and does not have differential feed but I figured the $20 would be tuition and this could teach me a bit how they worked. It is a "Sergemate" which I think was put out by Simplicity but there were other companies that distributed the same machine. I could not find a "Sergemate" manual on line but I did find a manual that is essential for the same machine. I have played around with it some. It did not come with a foot pedal but I had one, and I figured I could use it. It took some modification to the pedal and required me to rewire the machine but it is now working. I am not completely happy with my Jerry rigging so I think I will permanently attach the pedal and power cord for safety. It will sew a two needle 4 thread overcast seem. The knife seems to be working well. I think the tensions could use some adjusting but at least I can get it to sew. I will have to do some more research on how to adjust the tension since right now I do not know which thread is which. I had heard how difficult sergers were to thread so I made sure to take out all the thread and then try and follow the directions on re threading (more part of my tuition.) I did not think it was really too difficult, just one place where I had a bit of confusion. I am used to threading a Willcox and Gibbs chain stitch so this was similar except you had to do it 4 times. I have included a picture of my $20 tuition machine.

Oh, I almost forgot. Last Christmas I made Connie a fleece throw. Unfortunately, it was a bit short as we are both tall. I found some fleece at Joann's and made another throw. It is very simple just a gray plaid on top and a solid gray on bottom. I looks very nice. (in the picture the orange is not part of the throw.) We both like the sewn borders rather than the tied. Don't know how much use we will get out of it though as both the cat and the dog seem to be on it at all times. I also did another design for a friend for next Christmas. Never too early to be thinking of next Christmas!

Courtney

courtney-serger-small.jpg

courtney-throw-small.jpg

Responding to Courtney, Dorothy added:

Courtney

Thread with a different color in each area. Lets you see what is good or needs adjustment.

James

James describes what he's been working on and sends several pictures.

I have not worked on my sewing machines lately and no new acquisitions either. I do have plenty of machines that I have not shown yet. This is one of them.

I picked up the Angelus sewing machine complete with wood dome case. The case is in the same style as that used for White machines with the same turn knob to lock and unlock the case. Based on the look of the machine I suspected that it was a branded sewing machine made by Davis. On research of the name, it showed up on the ISMACS needle list under Davis. The shuttle also has Davis on it. One confusing bit however is that according to ISMACS needle list the machine takes a 1x2 needle but they state that this is for top tension Davis machines while mine is a front tension which they state takes a 15x1 needle.

Based on an vintage ad for some Angelus sewing machines in 1910 by a department store with the interesting name of Hamburger's in the Los Angeles area, I believe that my machine was a branded machine that Davis made for that specific store. Based on the design it looks like it borrows several features from the different Davis underfeed models as it can not be narrowed down to one model.

My machine included a Hamilton Beach swing away motor and a hacked on Singer button type pedal. The plugs are the two round prong type as seen in many National machines so Hamburger probably contracted the motor from Hamilton Beach for their sewing machines.

The machine needs repair for the motor mount and needs some cleanup but the decals looks to be in nice shape with an almost Christmas feel with the use of red flowers and deep green leaves with gold decoration. My guess that it dates sometime before WW1. The name Angelus is interesting in that the first letter A is done in an illuminated block style as seen in illuminated Bibles.

It came with a nice assortment of attachments in the storage bin on the base. Of interest is the single much longer needle and a triangle shaped key that must have belonged to a case top for a treadle machine.

James

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

.... to be continued